Help! He's Choking
Maria worked as a server in a restaurant. She was in the middle of her shift when she noticed a man with a look of panic in his eyes and his hands wrapped around his throat.
Last year, Maria had taken a first aid and CPR course. She remembered the first sign of choking: a person’s hands around his throat. Maria immediately ran over to the man and asked him if he needed help. He could not answer. Maria asked him to remain calm and cough, but the man could not do that. She concluded that he had an airway obstruction. She asked him if she could help him, and he nodded yes. This was the consent that she needed.
She sprang into action. First, Maria told her co-worker to quickly call 9-1-1. Then she stood behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist. She made a fist with her hand and placed the thumb side of her fist against his abdomen between the top of his navel and the bottom of his breast bone. She clasped her other hand around her fist and quickly pulled her fist towards her with force. She was ready to repeat these abdominal thrusts four more times when a chunk of meat flew out of the man’s mouth.
Maria’s quick thinking had saved this man! She retold the story to the paramedics when they arrived. Everyone was grateful for Maria’s knowledge of emergency procedures, especially the man whose life she saved!